As per my usual modus operandi, I gave the condo casa a thorough cleaning this morning before Operation Deck the Halls began.
I love the way the condo looks at Christmas time! The rest of the year, we favour a minimal, bare look for our home; at Christmas, we love colour, texture, sound (well, I am a fan of Christmas music!).
Here’s a few before and after shots, starting with our main room:
In the Master Bath, I only switch up the towels:
That’s the home tour…I’m actually late this year in doing my decorating! I ‘m of the school that likes to get everything out early…and then put Christmas away come Boxing Day. At least I am ready to go for the first day of the Advent Calendar which is tomorrow! (Saint) Nick o’ time!
And now for a few of my traditional decorations! All of my favourite items hold great sentimental value – I love putting them out each year because of who gave them to me. Here’s a TOP FIVE:
1. Wooden Advent Calendar - Dad bought this for me in the early ’90′s from Ten Thousand Villages. The Brother got one, too! (which he also uses, each year!).
2. Ceramic Christmas Tree – my Grandma gave this to me. It’s the only Christmas tree we put up each year! The condo has rules against live trees, and since we are always at my parents for Christmas, this is our only tree. The little lights light up – it’s so cute!
3. Glass Christmas Tree – my same Grandma gave me this little tree as a gift when I was about 13 years old (my cousin Kate got one, too, and I remember she was just a baby at the time). The little glass ornaments are each separate, so you can “decorate” the tree how you see fit. I treasure this tree.
4. Knitted Throw Blanket – I made this one ages ago…honestly, could be 15-25 years ago, I forget. Perfect for snuggling and watching Christmas
crap tv movies and specials!
5. Stained Glass Angel – When my Grandpa died, we each chose some of his possessions which held sentimental value for us. I chose this angel. A couple years ago, it fell off the window, and I literally cried when it cracked in couple spots. I am very careful now about how and where I hang it.
And just to finish off, a few more decorations:
We are now running the risk of Christmas Overload so I’ll stop here – for today!
Have you started decorating? Do you plan to decorate? What are some of your favourite items that you display each year?
And now, I face a dilemma: watch a movie or bake a recipe…I’m leaning to baking because I know B will go insane for this recipe…I’ll let you know tomorrow what ends up happening…