On June 27th, 1964, Dad and Mom got married!
On June 27th, 1964…
- “I Get Around” by the Beach Boys was the #2 song on the Music Chart (source)
- The New York Yankees beat the Detroit Tigers by a score of 5-4 at Yankee Stadium (source)
- Fashionable women were wearing:
- and gas cost about $0.27 a gallon! (source)
That was a long time ago!
After 47 years together, I figure Mom and Dad have learned a thing or two about marriage. I asked them if they could please share tidbits of wisdom that they have gleaned from so many years of being together.
Let’s see what they have to say…
Mom‘s Five Keys to a Successful Marriage:
1. Laugh together, and roll your eyeballs or smirk or wink or nod, whatever connects you in the moment.
2. Remember in a special way those dates important to your relationship – anniversary, birthdays, Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, Christmas.
3. Accept each age and each stage, which do change over the years – we were DINKs for 6 years, then came the really busy era of young children, then the time of raising kids and both working away from home, then Cathy and Chris’ teen years, then the Empty Nest, then retirement. Each age and each stage does have rewards and challenges.
4. Enjoy your roles in your family and within extended family.
5. Hold hands when you cross the street as a symbol of “We are into this, together, forever.”
Dad‘s Five Keys to a Successful Marriage:
Mom Got the Hint
There was one tshirt and one tshirt only for me to wear for the occasion:
I don’t mean to lord it over
The Brother and SIL Ana you, but man was this scrumptious!
pleading asking for a repeat performance asap!
◊ ◊ ◊ ◊ ◊
Have you feasted on strawberries yet this year? Valumart was sold out by yesterday afternoon – local berries are a hot commodity!