well, this is it: today is dad’s 70th birthday!
i can’t believe
he’s that old it! and if i can’t believe it, i wonder how dad feels?!
dad will receive his gifts later today. then, tomorrow we have a special family celebration!
in honour of dad’s milestone day, we have a list of 26 things about dad (because it’s november 26th, hence my choice of 26 items). i would have done seventy (twenty-six was surprisingly easy to find) but then i’d have to delve into
even more embarrassing stories, so twenty-six shall suffice!
happy birthday, dad!
26 reasons we love dad
1. dad was that neighbourhood father who spent evenings and weekend afternoons outside with all the kids, playing baseball, driveway hockey, football tossing, frisbee flinging…
2. dad is the author of my favourite quote of all-time: the world is full of idiots. classic.
3. “everything in moderation” is another life expression dad espouses – and it makes so much sense.
4. dad can check “run a marathon” off his bucket list – we ran our first marathons at the same race! (niagara, 1996).
5. dad is always the first one to reach for the bill when out with friends or family, at a restaurant or coffee shop.
6. dad loves a bowl of cereal.
7. dad is an ace at sudoku puzzles.
8. dad has a warm smile and kind eyes.
9. dad will always win at the board game “risk” because of his never-fail strategy of taking over all of australia, then attacking outwards from there (we used to get soooo mad, as kids!).
10. dad is a willing and un-complaining dish-washer for mom when she bakes and cooks.
11. at various stages of his life, dad has played recreation-league hockey and baseball; he has been a curling squad (team? crew? foursome?), he took yoga, and now, he still golfs regularly.
12. dad is willing to have his photo on the blog at any time, even when wearing his pajamas.
14. dad is skilled at painting and wallpapering – his attention to detail is phenomenal.
15. dad taught me to ice skate when i was two.
16. dad has a deep bass singing voice, and can carry a tune marvelously.
17. dad let me learn to drive standard – and taught me himself! – on his beloved 1981 toyota celica.
18. dad can bbq a mean medium-rare steak; we’ll forget about the time he accidentally melted his sunglasses by placing them on top of a hot bbq!
19. dad has impeccable style and is a dapper dresser.
20. dad held my hand at the 9k mark of my first 10k race and encouraged me not to walk – that can-do attitude has stayed with me ever since.
21. in his role as g’pa, dad gives pony rides to little e and cutie c, and lets them walk on his feet.
22. dad made up stories for us when we were little, featuring “the little man” (he’d walk his fingers to be the little man) and “susie and freddy” (a little girl and her dog).
23. dad slipped me french fries on the sly beginning when i was about a year old. mom found out when i started pointing and going “ugh ugh!” for fries, upon spying them!
24. dad keeps his vehicles in pristine and mint condition – both the interiors and the exteriors. that begs the question: why are the brother and i so lax??!
25. dad is bilingual – german and english.
he failed grade nine french, though.
26. thanks to dad, i have green eyes, too.
(for friday november 25th): yesterday i was thankful for my longstanding friendship with lisa.
it was her birthday yesterday! i am happy that we have plans
for coffee to meet up next week!