i don’t have one specific source for today’s quiz – the “this or that” idea pops up on blogs fairly frequently. this game is simple – pick the option that applies to you. my votes are noted, below. since it’s december 17th, we have seventeen choices! onwards!
1. decorated cookies: gingerbread or sugar cookies? sugar! not a super-huge fan of the ginger flavour.
2. tree decorations: colour-themes or random/assorted ornaments? i love trees that are multi-colour and feature decorations that are near and dear to the heart. martha stewart/brian gluckstein/professional designer trees may be jaw-droppingly gorgeous, but i prefer personal touches and warmth.
3. gift-wrapping presents: gift paper or gift bags? paper! bags may be easier and more environmentally friendly ’cause you can reuse them, but i love wrapping presents and love matching paper to the gift recipient. however: i dislike bargain paper that rips easily and feels cheap to the touch.
4. outdoor fun: toboganning or skating party? i would choose skating – although i have no skates, currently! i have very fun childhoood memories of crazy carpet + toboggan outings, either just our family or with vfbf joanne‘s family!
5. icicle lights: pretty or tacky? i like all lights, so i’ll give them the ok.
6. special night out: the nutcracker ballet or a christmas carol theatre performance? nutcracker! i’ve seen this classic performed twice, i think – once at the centre in the square, and once in toronto. i would go again in a heartbeat!
7. cards: paper or electronic? paper! i love both the sending and the receiving.
8. crooners: michael bublé or bing crosby? michael bublé has a new album out this year, and it’s good! but i’ll go with bing for this question – he gets the nod because of this rendition of little drummer boy, with david bowie (thanks, vfbf joanne for the link!).
9. tinsel: gobs or single strands? [haha, tangent - as kids, when we had family tree decorating day, it was tradition to try to decorate dad with tinsel without him knowing. talk about gobs of fun.]. i’ll say it’s ok to clump on the tinsel. some people (ahem, dad) are adamant about single strands, only. and some people dislike tinsel all together! (can’t imagine!).
10. greenerie: holly or ivy? ivy!
11. gift cards as gifts: yes or no? ooo, this is the big extended-family debate! some family members (ahem, dear brother o’ mine) are very vocal about the banning of gift cards in the family gift exchange. i abide by this rule…however, i have no objection whatsoever to receiving a gift card. and i think it’s totally ok to give a gift card. easy shopping, and much appreciated (by most people!).
12. family visiting: one family per day or
get them all over with in one day fit multiple gatherings into one day? thankfully, i’ve never had to do the two-turkey-dinners-in-one-day type-thing. one family per day gets my vote. otherwise, you’re looking at emotional and sugar overloads, i do believe!
13. festive expressions: season’s greetings or happy holidays? season’s greetings always strikes me as slightly cold and corporate. i like happy holidays if you need a generic, friendly term. i like merry christmas, even more!
14. turkey meat: white or dark? traditionally dark has been my go-to. although the way mom cooks our turkey (blast high heat for a shorter time) does make the white meat juicy and very tasty.
15. drinks: egg nog or hot chocolate? ummm, not a fan of either really, but if i had to pick, i’d go with hot chocolate. again, fond memories of going tobogganing then heading home for hot choco with mini-marshmallows in our santa mugs.
16. gift opening: rip ‘n’ throw or pick off the tape neatly and save the paper? i’m more of a ripper than a pick-picker. the KING of the rip ‘n’ throw, done with vigour and flamboyance, is my uncle paul! he’s unmatchable!
17. scented candles: cinnamon or evergreen? yum – cinnamon! and any variation thereof, like apple pie, cookies, caramel, etc.
[i've purposely omitted topics we've discussed recently, like turkey vs stuffing, real trees vs fake, white vs green christmas, children's tv specials, christmas songs, boxing day shopping, etc. wow, you'd almost think it's been all christmas all the time around here, of late!].
your turn! answer all or one -> i’d love to hear your responses!