so, have you turned into an olympics junkie over the past couple of weeks?! i know i have…my rear end has been glued, practically, to the couch in front of mom and dad’s tv. i have seen my fair share of the excitement – and there’s more to come! i am so excited for the running of the men’s marathon on sunday, august 12th -> i will be on the edge of my seat!! go reid, go dylan, go eric!!
what events do you ♥ to watch, and rate your olympic excitement level on a scale of 1-10: my favourite events are anything track and field-related, and everything swimming, and i am a hearty 9/10 in terms of the olympic joy and pride in being canadian!
ok – let’s move on to the seven month kikiproject update, and we’ll see where things stand at this exact moment:
1. record at least one positive thing every day in my gratitude
journal/excel spreadsheet. this has been such a joyous month! i have tried to be as nice as possible to others, and in return, i have noticed how many good things are happening in my life. my happiness log is full!
2. babysit little e and cutie c two times so that the brother and sil ana can enjoy a significant date or special event. i’m still at two completed special babysitting occasions. with our summer schedules, any more opportunities will occur from september onwards!
blog three times per week (monday-wednesday-friday). modified on february 13th to: leave a comment on a minimum of three blogs, every day. i am sticking to my tried-and-true routine of reading my friends’ and blends’ blogs first thing in the morning (with my coffee and knitting). visiting via commenting is esp meaningful to me during blogcations, and i really enjoy staying in touch with my blog friends this way.
4. run four (point two) km…times ten. i did not accomplish this goal this month – and had no intentions of so doing!
5. eat five wildly decadent and delicious desserts. this project was completed last month! fear not, i am definitely enjoying lotsa sugar in my life!
6. finish a minimum of six knitting projects. still knittin’ away on a blanket with my cheap orange yarn…i never, ever would have guessed that each of these big balls…
…would contain so much yardage!! i’m going to finish the blanket then give any remaining orange to mom for her philanthropy knitting projects. [yes, i enjoyed inserting ball humour, here. it never grows tiresome, ever].
7. read seven books, and hopefully more. you know how dr phil says you don’t break a habit, you simply replace one behaviour with another? well, obviously i have been reading in lieu of blogging – i have now completed this project…look at this list!…
book #7: shoe addicts anonymous by beth harbison -> this chick lit novel was a very cute read that zo had recommended on her blog a while back. if you still have vacation time coming this summer, take this book along as your beach read. the story follows four women who meet and bond over their love of shoes. i give it **1/2 stars, and it was an enjoyably light and entertaining novel.
book #8: the undomestic goddess by sophie kinsella-> authoress kinsella is best known for her best-selling shopaholic series. i read one of those books, and it did not grab me at all. upon hearing of my lacklustre response, dear gina suggested i try a non-shopaholic kinsella. i randomly grabbed the undomestic goddess off the library shelf. gina, i have to tell you especially that this novel (fyi, also chick lit in genre) receives FOUR ENTHUSIASTIC AND HUGE GOLD stars!! ****!! i LOVED this book! i literally laughed out loud, the storyline…well, you hope it turns out a certain way, but you are not entirely sure until the very end, and the protagonist – samantha – is endearing and instantly likeable. go and get yourself this book asap!!!
book #9: explosive eighteen by janet evanovich -> who am i becoming?!! [reverting to??] – unbelievably and shockingly, i finished a book in three days, a timeframe which i have not seen since my nancy drew days thirty years ago. i plucked the latest stephanie plum adventure off the library shelf, too. i couldn’t remember where i left off (thirteen? fourteen?) but that doesn’t really matter with these easy-reads [although i seemed to have missed some action in hawaii...]. yea, explosive eighteen is the same old same old ms evanovich formula, but i have not read a stephanie plum in a couple of years so i easily immersed myself in the story. those of you who are familiar with the series, please cast your vote: morelli or ranger??!! ** two stars. now i feel like going back to the library for a kinsey millhone!
8. perform eight random acts of kindness. the only r.a.o.k. i have to tell you about is a missed opportunity from the last week of july…i was at the corner of erb and caroline streets, walking home from the library (see above!), when i glanced down and saw a scotiabank debit card lying on the sidewalk. honestly, my first inclination was “this is a perfect r.a.o.k. moment!” because i envisioned picking up the card, going over to the nearest scotiabank, and handing it over in the hopes that they could track down the owner. unfortunately, i was too pressed for time to follow through on my honourable thoughts…so i very guiltily left the card on the sidewalk where i found it. i am hoping the rightful owner retraced their steps or that a good samaritan took matters into their own hands…so i remain at 4/8 completed r.a.o.k.’s.
9. watch nine different and new-to-me tv shows (either online, on dvd, or on tv).
show #8: the 2012 summer olympics!! yes, i have watched the olympics before, like every time they have occurred since 1984 [that is the year the summer games were in L.A., and i distinctly remember watching events on hotel tellies while our family was on our western canada summer vacay]. but the 2012 summer olympics have never been broadcast before! given my whole
poopy attitude re this tv-watching project, you can bet i am counting these olympic events as a new tv-viewing experience!
10. refrain from chewing gum for ten months. i could care less if i ever see a piece of gum again in my life [she said haughtily and snottily with her nose in the air]. i will now descend from my high horse.
11. abstain from drinking diet pop (any pop) for eleven months. i honestly and genuinely thought i was going to be able to report to you that i am so over this
evil for me beverage – i typed the words in my head: “hooray for me, i have no desire whatsoever to sit and drink up!!“…and then, i got blindsided! i was simply walking out of the mall after purchasing my groceries at valumart, and there on a bench sat a valumart check-out girl, and she opened her diet pepsi bottle, and the pfffft made me salivate so much that my eyes almost popped out of my head, and it’s a good thing my hands were full of groceries or i would have rushed right over to her and stolen her drink. but, hey! progress is being made – that is the only full-fledged craving i had this month! [ four months til pop-alicious day!! wheeee!!!]
12. meet with at least twelve different friends for a social get-together. i feel like i am in a real slump as i am still stuck at nice nineteen. to be frank, i haven’t tried very hard to recruit new coffee-buddies…it sure would be wonderful to hit the half-marathon mark of twenty-one, though. ideally, some of you out-of-towners will come to waterloo for visits or vacations!?!?!
hard to believe that next month’s update will mark the project’s 2/3 completion point!
have a great day!