I started reading blogs when I created this blog in January, 2010. At first, I was a lurker only (blog lingo for someone who reads but doesn’t comment). I felt shy about the idea of commenting – it seemed forward, and would the blogger really care to read my input? Over time, I’ve become more *daring,* and now really enjoy participating in these online conversations.
My style: I comment daily on a select number of blogs. I read some other blogs, too, but will comment only if the topic or discussion particularly resonates with me. I do not agree with leaving a generic comment just for the sake of promoting my own blog, or just so I can say I left a comment – just not something I am comfortable with.
I had the day off yesterday, so I decided to try an experiment: I would leave over fifty comments on fifty different blogs.
Self-Imposed Ground Rule: My comment had to be thoughtful, genuine, personal and specifically respond to the content in the blog post. Things such as “Nice race!”, “Those cookies look yummy!” or “Hope you have a better day tomorrow!” would not be written.
Hypothesis: Leaving this many comments (way more than usual) would increase the hits to my own blog.
1)This New Experience turned out to be labour-intensive and very time consuming! I spent the equivalent of full time job hours on this project! And this was for only fifty comments! [Originally, I set my target at 100 comments – the goal was to at least leave more comments in 24 hours than I ever have before; I realized about noon that 50 comments would be acceptable…and a number that I could handle!].
2) I honestly do not know how people find the time to blog 1, 2, 3 times a day, respond to comments left on their own blog, read and respond to other blogs…and still have a life outside of the blog world!
3) I did not enjoy spending this much time reading blogs. I will revert to reading my “regular blogs,” commenting on my blends‘ (blog lingo for friends who you only know through blogs) posts, and spending time on blogs in a moderate manner.
4) Leaving this many comments did not impact the traffic on my own blog one little bit. This fact genuinely surprises me. A good check to the ego!🙂
For accountability sake, below, you will find my Blogroll for the day.
[This is the order in which I visited blogs and made my comments. I’ve included time of day checkpoints, and the technical problem I created for myself…(thanks, Holly, for helping me out!)]
How many blogs do you read in a day? Do you comment or just read? I think most people lurk, from what I can tell!
Blogroll for New Experience #11
1. SIL Ana’s blog **link not provided on purpose
2. Cousin Joel – Soaked in Sunshine and Cheap Wine
3. Bestie Gina’s blog
4. Jess – 21 Days
5. Melissa – Trying to Heal
6. Tammy – Palm Trees and Manatees
7. Janetha – Meals and Moves
8. Kailey – Snackface
9. Sarah – Peas and Thank You
10. Averie – Love Veggies and Yoga
11. Gena – Choosing Raw
12. Holly – The Runny Egg
13. Angela – Eat, Spin, Run, Repeat
11:00 a.m. [I did need to accomplish other tasks in my day!]
14. Gabriela – Une Vie Saine
15. Angela – Oh She Glows
16. Catlin – Healthy Tipping Point
17. Kath – Kath Eats Real Food
18. Melissa – Melissa Nibbles
19. B – Smart Cookie
20. Dorry – Living With Healthy Hunger
21. Monica – Run, Eat, Repeat
22. Gina – The Fitnessista
23. JL – JL goes Vegan
24. Joyce – Flowing to Fifty
25. Tina – Carrots ‘n’ Cake
Whew! I was ready for a break!
Unfortunately, when I resumed commenting, I discovered that any comment I left on a WordPress-supported blog was not posting. Long story short: the comments went to spam. Thanks to Holly’s suggestions last night, I have now created a NEW Gmail account that I am going to use for blog-related email communications.
Even though my comments may not appear on some of the following blogs, I am counting them as comments because I DID compose and post them! WordPress + Akismet just ate them!
26. Jenna – Eat, Live, Run
27. Cassie – A Very Busy Mind
28. Emily – Daily Garnish
29. Kristina – Life As Kristina
30. Lisa – Thrive Style
31. Morgan – Life After Bagels
32. Amanda – The Artsy Kitchen
33. Jessica – The Process of Healing
34. Zo – Striving Cynic
35. Stephanie – Yarn Harlot
36. Glenna – Knitting to Stay Sane
38. Ang – Running Chronicles
39. Mark – Battlefield Running
40. Anne – Run DMZ
[Losing focus and motivation, big time…]
41. Eric – Just a mile to go
42. Bryon – iRunFar
43. Annette – Annette Bednosky’s Blog
44. Kim – Tales of the Trail Goddess
[Not stopping now!…Push to the finish!]
45. Jo Lynn – Single Track Junkie
46. Dragonmamma – Dragonmamma’s Den
47. Laura – Sprint 2 The Table
48. Nicole – Yuppie Yogini
49. Faith – Lovely As Charged
50. Louis – Running Blog
THANK YOU, 50 TOTAL!
Yes, I could have *done more* last eve but to be honest, I was maxed-out.
Conclusion: New Experience #11 was a unique endeavour, and likely will not be repeated!
Now back to regularly scheduled blog reading and commenting!