happy thanksgiving monday (or happy plain ol’ monday, as the case may be)!
yesterday, we gathered at mom and dad’s for our annual family thanksgiving celebration extravaganza. you can read about last year’s party here!
we follow the same
formula tradition for each thanksgiving: visiting, christmas lists, pizza ‘n’ wings party!
this year, cousin joel and andrea are in australia – we skyped!
<3! miss you both! happy you will be home by christmas!
my favourite part of the whole family get-together – heck, a highlight of the year – is when we exchange our christmas lists.
this is the premise: you brainstorm a bunch of ideas of gifts that you would like to receive at christmas. just because you include an item on your list does not mean you will get it! the xmas list is simply a guide for family members to consult when they do their shopping [with our relatively – punny! – small family, we all give presents to each other – there’s no name exchange or anything].
i never have a hard time pulling together a list. there’s a set of staples that i pretty much include annually: gift cards (although the brother is vehemently opposed, i still provide this option as i truly enjoy receiving gc’s!); workout wear; a selection of fiction, quirky tshirts. my list is typically 10-20 suggestions long.
back in the spring, i knew i wanted to write a 100 item christmas list as a funny new experience. so, on labour day weekend, i started my list. i had 50 items on it by the end of that first brainstorming session. over the next five weeks, i’d add ideas as they popped into my head. the list came together a lot quicker and more easily than i anticipated, actually! i thought i’d have to fall back on more book titles and gift card stores…i’ve got a few, but not a ton.
here, then, for documentation purposes, is my 100 item christmas list (and it can be joel and andrea’s copy!). items appear in the order in which they flashed into my brain [more or less – i actually came up with MORE than 100 ideas, and had to make some cuts and substitutions]. and there is nothing on the list that i genuinely would not appreciate receiving.
THE 100 ITEM XMAS LIST FOR 2011!
- the people puzzler: box set (xword puzzle books from people magazine)
- quirky tshirts with a 1960-1970’s vibe
- stinky tofu tshirt
- milk and cookies tshirt that is in the window of delirium (king street, waterloo)
- two owls + skunk tshirt from atomic toybot on queen street east
- silver hoop earrings
- “for men maca root shave cream” from the body shop
- lancome: bi-facil double action eye make-up remover
- lancome: crème mousse confort
- lancome: tonique clarte toner
- lancome: star bronzer natural glow(face powder) in shade 02 “solaire”
- reebok zigtech shoes, size 7
- a “wallflower” from bath & body works, in pewter; wallflower refills in “salty caramel,” “cinnamon stick,” “mint chocolate” etc (ie non-floral scents, baked goods are a good bet!)
- incense sticks
- nail polish in bright colours, no pastels
- crackle nail polish
- “then came you” by jennifer weiner (**for all books, “used” condition is fine!)
- “prep” by curtis sittenfeld
- “when you were mine” by elizabeth noble
- “the romantics” by galt niederhoffer
- “i’m so happy for you” by lucinda rosenfeld
- “something borrowed” or “something blue,” both by emily giffin
- gift certificate: conestoga mall
- gift certificate: lululemon
- gift certificate: loblaws (so I can get joe fresh clothes! not groceries!)
- gift certificate: shoppers drug mart (so I can get cosmetics! not toilet paper!)
- gift certificate: iTunes
- gift certificate: running room!
- brightly coloured knitting needles, metal, sizes 3.00 mm – > 6 .00 mm
- set of sharpie magic markers
- set of white board markers, lotsa colours
- brightly coloured stickie notes
- flipflops, size 7
- puffins cereal: cinnamon, original, or peanut butter
- maranatha peanut butter, crunchy
- expensive carbonated water – like from Europe
- expensive dark chocolate chips
- journal notebook: 8×10”, lined paper, coil bound, cute/bright cover
- flannel bed sheets – for queen size bed; cute
- yoga blocks (2)
- oprah magazine
- charm bracelet (can be cheap)
- wooden hoop earrings from earthwinds, uptown waterloo (have a straight stick that goes thru your ear, and thru the hoop earring)
- tea towels and/or dish cloths from bon mot (uptown waterloo)
- 500 piece jigsaw puzzle, bright colours
- gift certificate: tora tattoo (I’m ready for tat #3)
- brightly coloured 8×10” – NOT legal size – file folders (available at write impressions, for example)
- converse “chucks” sneakers, size 7, hi or low cut, any colour
- nike free shoes, size 7 (the lime with hot pink laces ones at running room)
- moccasins: low style, with fringe and with beads, size 7
- MAC eye shadow, pink tones
- thong underwear, bright colours, no itchy lace, size sm/med
- fleece pullover: ½ zip or full zip – any colour
- cute/kitschy/unique/retro bobby pins or hair barrettes
- sun warrior protein powder, vanilla – available at eating well organically, individual pacs
- set of queen bed sheets: high thread count, no florals
- black eyeliner pencil
- spools of sewing thread in all different colours/shades (box set??)
- recyclable tote bag from “ruby eats” (queen street east, Toronto) – the burlap sack/brown one
- retro/kitschy dishes from the 70s – NO SETS, ONE ITEM OF A DESIGN only
- lunchbox – retro design ie cartoon characters, tv shows from a bygone era
- blog makeover: by you or hire someone to do it for me
- armwarmers for running in a crazy, bright pattern/design
- fluffy, warm socks, crazy bright colours
- ballet flats (slippers/shoes) – size 7
- year membership to CAA (Canadian automobile association)
- Saucony kinvara running shoes, size 7, ONLY the special edition Canadian version (running room)
- “last night at chateau marmont” – by lauren weisberger
- moo cow key chain (write impressions)
- smartwool socks, size small, funky colours/design
- madonna tshirt –preferably the singer, but interpret as you wish
- teeth whitening strips
- laughing Buddha statue
- ipod shuffle, not silver
- crabtree & evelyn goats milk soap/body wash (available at the bay)
- a crew neck, college sweatshirt, size medium
- clogs, size 7 – I’m open-minded as to style
- pinking shears
- set of bath brian gluckstein bath towels (available at the bay): two bath sheets; one bath towel; one bath mat (not with rubber on the back); one hand towel; one face cloth; any colour
- tube of traumeel cream (available at shoppers)
- wrapping paper: any colours, any themes, sheets not rolls
- adidas “reaction pullover,” size medium, $64.99 at running room; style #V10931
- variegated yarn: bright colours (sock yarn weight is good), enough to make a baby blanket
- a lava lamp
- “emily the Strange” long sleeve tshirt, size medium or large
- peach Berserk long sleeve tshirt, size medium or large
- hoodie from the futon shop on king street in waterloo, size large
- u of w sweatpants, size medium, any colour
- long sleeve running top, plain crew neck, size medium
- silver lame shorts from American apparel, size medium (that would be lam-eh, not LAME!)
- membership card to the princess cinema
- drakkar noir – cologne or aftershave
- canada/olympic mittens, size small/medium (the line available at the bay)
- lifa brand long sleeve top, size small, crew neck
- vibrams, size 38, any model (available at adventure guide)
- toronto maple leafs baseball cap
- plaid work jacket from mark’s work wearhouse, size men’s small
- “relentless forward progress” by bryon powell
- a ladle
- ugg boots, size 7, must look like this:
our lists are fantastic this year! they’ll go into my knapsack for easy reference whenever i’m out and about – never know when you’ll see the perfect gift. i intend to start shopping asap!
how does the christmas gift exchange work for your family? do you make a wish list at all? the christmas list tradition started in my family even before i was born! i love the idea: you know you will like what you receive, and it’s easy to know what to buy others!